We often lose sight of the fact that Grand Theft Auto 5 was originally released in 2013, nearly 10 years ago, on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. It’s worth naming those consoles because they give you an idea of just how ancient the original GTA 5 release was.
Yet Rockstar is still selling the game on what we called ‘next-gen gaming consoles’ not too long ago. Granted, the game has received major refreshes, and GTA Online has so many active players that it essentially doesn’t make any business sense for the company to even think about moving past the GTA5/GTA Online era anytime soon.
Though there are rumors that Rockstar is working on GTA 6, I just thought it’d be fun to list a few short things that happened after GTA 5 was released.
Grand Theft Auto 5 was released before:
- Barack Obama’s second term as the President of the United States.
- Brexit – The UK left the EU.
- Donald Trump became the President.
- Pokémon Go was first released.
- TikTok was launched.
- Nintendo Switch was launched.
- The COVID-19 Pandemic happened (This one feels like yesterday, but it’s been 3 years. And I’m sure people in the future will be astounded by the fact that GTA V was released before the COVID pandemic).
Of course, I might still be too early. Somebody in the future might write a similar post (or do a future version of TikTok) where they say, ‘GTA 5 was released before humans left earth for Mars.‘
When GTA 5 lasts as long as it has, anything is possible.
I write personal stories about gaming on PC, Xbox Series X, and PS5. If you’re into gaming and would like to receive emails about future posts, consider subscribing.